Join the Exciting Journey at tombola! 🚀
Are you ready to be a part of something extraordinary? As tombola continues its remarkable growth, we're on the hunt for a Lead Data Engineer.
The Lead Data Engineer is a key role within the Data department in the Tech team at tombola. This role will provide leadership to our Data Engineerings, reporting directly into our Head of Data.
Find your bounce at tombola! 🎱
At tombola, we're not just another player in the game; we're the creators of the game. Our approach is revolutionary – we craft every element of our software in-house, from concept to execution. We take pride in the ingenuity of our developers and designers, united by their passion for pushing boundaries and shaping the future.
It’s not just our digital bingo balls that have loads of bounce. Our people do, too. Whatever your role, it’s the kind of place that can put a spring in your step.
Whether you're developing game mechanics, keeping our players safe, testing our products or sponsoring one of the UK's biggest TV shows, how high and how far you bounce really is up to you.
What do we offer? 💰
We champion a culture of inclusivity, flexibility, personal development, and mental wellbeing!
As well as a salary that will be more than agreeable for you, we offer market leading benefits such as quarterly bonus, tombola merch, free breakfast and lunches in the office, private healthcare, hybrid working and much more.
You can find out more about our benefits and what it's like to work for us here.
Sounds great! What will I be doing? 🔎
- To lead a team of data engineers at tombola, in delivering a market leading customer data platform.
- Working with other teams to develop collaborative ways of working that make data engineering capabilities available to all tech teams at tombola.
- To work closely with senior stakeholders in tombola to deliver on the data engineering strategy that enables tombola to deliver on its business objectives
- To optimize and develop the data pipeline that makes tombola’s various online data sources available for consumption by key stakeholders around the business.
- To work with commercial, product and analytics teams to define, produce and maintain data models around the business
- To work with development and engineering teams to ensure quality and availability of raw data sources
- To work with security, data protection and compliance teams to ensure a secure and compliant data architecture is maintained, in line with gambling license requirements and industry best practices
- Build, develop and support a community of data engineers.
- Own and deliver a data engineering strategy aligned to tombola’s business objectives.
- Connect and publish all systems from a data perspective. Making all key data available to end users and systems whether the data source is internal or external.
- Working with key business stakeholders and analysts to gather data requirements
- Defining and documenting key logical and physical data models
- Designing, building, and maintaining data pipelines that provide useful data and insights to key business stakeholders
- Designing, building, and maintaining data pipelines that provide data to necessary external stakeholders and regulators
- Development and maintenance of data contracts between various systems and data pipelines
- Produce and maintain a metadata repository for use within various departments across the business
- Ensure that the principles of security-by-design and privacy-by-design are followed
Knowledge & Experience
- Experience in a line management position – being responsible for individuals personal and professional development
- Experience maintaining and documenting large data sets
- Experience leading a small team of engineers to deliver meaningful change
- Experience managing and building relationships with internal and external stakeholders
- Experience working closely with and collaborating with other technology leaders
- Experience of visualisation tools such as Tableau etc.
- Streaming frameworks like Kafka, Kinesis etc
- Knowledge of industry-wide technology trends and best practices across Data Engineering field and awareness of where this discipline relates and adds value to other business domain areas
- Ability to work in large, collaborative teams
- Understanding of software skills such as business analysis, development, maintenance, and software improvement
- In depth SQL knowledge.
- Understand the concepts and principles of data modelling
- Knowledge of iGaming industry and regulatory requirements would be a huge advantage
- Experience with a broad range of technologies would be a huge advantage. Some of the technologies we use are C#, Node, Docker, SQL Server, AWS
- A team player with a “servant” approach to leadership.
- Expert communicator. Can communicate progress of complex projects to senior stakeholders.
- Demonstrate high degree of empathy and emotional intelligence
- You will have excellent communication and interpersonal skills, able to build strong relationships with internal and external stakeholders at all levels
- Highly motivated with a “can do” attitude and the ability to use own initiative
- Have a “down to earth” working style
- Good attention to detail and the ability to prioritise effectively
- Able to work under pressure and to tight deadlines
- Spirit of fun and engagement